Friday, October 23, 2015

Diversity in the Classroom

In Miss Kings class room I see a lot of cultural and linguistic diversity.  As I have stated before many students speak Spanish and come from a home where English is not spoken.  I believe it’s about 30%.  This definitely poses a challenge but it is to be expected since it is a dual immersion program.  If the child speaks only Spanish or only English and wants to learn Spanish they would have been put in this program.  The teachers have obstacles but since the program has been in place for many years, and most parents want their kids in the program, dual immersion teachers receive the best technology for the classroom and lots of help from the school board.  I have not helped in the Spanish class side so I do not know how the English speakers are doing on that end.  I have seen and spoken with my daughter in the program and she is nervous in the other class but generally can figure out what her Spanish teacher is asking her to do. 

Miss King addresses the cultural diversity by having a wide library of books and videos that she uses to teach others about cultures.  They also learn different cultural artists in art class.  


I have noticed a few kids with learning disabilities.  If the students struggle with ADHD or Autism I have not noticed them.  I believe programs are in place to help keep those students engaged. Some struggle with dyslexia and others have facial indicators of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Those students are not being disruptive even with their learning disabilities. Miss King has created a loving and trusting environment that allows her to help and teach these students.  They feel like she is there to help and are not afraid to ask for help.   

No comments:

Post a Comment