Thursday, August 27, 2015

Introduction

        
I live in Heber and my daughter currently attends one of the elementary schools in the area.  Because of this I know a lot about the schools and the District.  Wasatch School District offers Dual Immersion in Spanish and English from Preschool thru 12th grade. I plan on splitting my service learning hours between 2 schools so I can see students at different age levels.  Heber Valley Elementary is the first school, it services students from Kindergarten to 4th grade. The Other school is Timpanogos Intermediate School and it services 5th and 6th grade.  Heber City is very rural and a fairly safe community. Many kids walk to and from school.

Of all the elementary schools in Wasatch school district, Heber Valley Elementary and Timpanogos Intermediate School rank the lowest for test scores.  But they are also more diverse and have larger class sizes. The Hispanic community is very strong and this means the schools have a lot of Spanish speaking students. Heber City is 5% higher than the state in Hispanic or Latino people as referenced at quickfacts.census.gov. These schools are getting over full and the area hopes to build two new schools by Fall of 2017. 


The student learning placement allows me to view teachers and students to see what struggles I might encounter as a teacher.  Ever since High School I have wanted to teach, but I wanted to teach High School Math and Elementary is quite different.  The program will give me the opportunity to see if I will enjoy teaching at an Elementary age.  I have three kids, so I know I can handle teaching to some extent since being a Mom provides teaching experiences every day. I look forward to spending some time in the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment